The Dorchester's designer florist, Phil Hammond, reveals the best way to decorate a winter celebration
Who said fabulous flowers can only be found at a summer wedding? Brides planning their nuptials in the colder months can still create a floral fantasia with Phil Hammond's top tips. Bring on the mistletoe!
1) Silver foliage adds an instant touch of winter crispness to any arrangement.
2) Make the most of your budget by using seasonal foliage like berries and birch twigs, mixed with large candles to create an understated winter setting.
3) Amaryllis flowers are a must for winter weddings. These are available in a wide range of colours, and make sophisticated table arrangements. My personal favourite is called 'Benefica', which is a deep red burgundy colour.
4) For a winter wedding, you can never have enough candles. These will add even more of a romantic feel to the special day.
5) Do not feel obligated to use traditional red and gold, or silver and white tones. Other great colour combinations such as purple and gold, warm and shimmering bronzes or peaches and browns, will add a touch of sumptuous elegance.
6) I would always make sure to choose seasonal flowers, as these will be the best value for money, and will also add to a wintery theme.
7) Remember that red and white flowers will go up in price during Christmas time. Including seasonal foliage and berries will make your floral arrangements more economical.
8) Using blue spruce will have a lovely scent reminiscent of winter, and will provide an instant wintery feel to any floral display.
9) Adding customised Christmas decorations to table arrangements is a great way to create a festive theme. They can also double as favours for your guests to take away with them as a lasting memory of such an important day.
10) I would recommend having a mistletoe kissing ball at any winter wedding. Guests will be delighted and it will add a little touch of festive romance to a day all about love.
The Dorchester's eight banqueting rooms can accommodate weddings from five to 500 guests. For more information about weddings at The Dorchester, please contact the hotel’s wedding specialist on +44 (0) 20 7319 7071 or email Groupandeventsales.TDL@Dorchestercollection.com
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...