Just three-and-a-half hours from the UK, sun-drenched Marrakech is a perfect bestof- both-worlds honeymoon destination
Where to stay
From the pink-walled buildings which blaze against the azure sky to the bustling souks hidden within the labyrinthine streets, Marrakech is a feast for the senses. It’s easy to get caught up in the commotion of the medina, so when you arrive at the tranquil palm-fringed Les Cinq Djellabas, a boutique hotel in the popular Palmeraie district outside the city, you may well find you don’t want to leave.
The hotel’s 10 detached eco lodges are set in lush green gardens, each furnished with four-poster beds and freestanding baths. Reclining by the pool sipping sweet mint tea served by the friendly waiting staff, the only decision you might need to make is whether to take off your complimentary straw hat and take a dip, or just soak up the sun for a little bit longer.
If you can tear yourself away, you’re only 20 minutes by car from the Old Medina, where you can wander the streets and wend your way from souk to souk and barter for clothes, leather, spices and all kinds of exotic curios. Back at Les Cinq Djellabas, dinner is served in the lamplit dining room, and you are left to reflect that this is probably the most perfect way to end the day.
What to do
1) Begin at the action-packed Djemaa el-Fna, the main square in Old Medina where you will be enthralled by snake charmers and water sellers in colourful costumes.
2) Escape the chaos of the medina and unwind with a massage and traditional steam hammam at the highly rated Heritage Spa.
3) Enjoy cocktails and a traditional tagine amidst twinkling lanterns and well-heeled locals at Le Foundouk, the oldest restaurant in Marrakech.
4) Take a day trip to the village of Imlil in the Atlas region, where you can hire a guide or a sure-footed donkey to take you into the incredible snow-capped mountains.
5) Enjoy authentic Berber cuisine at Kasbah du Toubkal, which is perched under the gaze of Morocco’s highest peak with panoramic vistas of the valley below.
Prices from £195 per night on bed and breakfast basis, visit www.hotel-les5djellabas. com. EasyJet flies to Marrakech from London Stansted, Gatwick and Manchester from £45.49 per person each way, based on two on the same booking. Visit www.easyjet.com.