It's the cult TV show that we're utterly addicted to - and here wedding planner Kerry Jackson-Rider shows how you can add some Game Of Thrones style to your big day
Themed weddings are becoming more and more popular. Just recently, Napster Co-founder and first Facebook President Sean Parker celebrated his marriage like a king in a magnificent and extravagant Game of Thrones themed wedding (as shown above).
To celebrate the DVD and Blu-ray release of Game of Thrones: The Complete Third Season, we asked London-based luxury wedding planner Kerry Jackson-Rider to share her tips for creating your very own Game Of Thrones celebration...
- A dungeon, castle or cellar with stone floors, walls and a vaulted ceiling is perfect. Create the right ambience through clever use of lighting, fire baskets, fire torches and lanterns.
- Think Gothic: thrones and chairs, draped with furs or fabrics, and large floor-standing vases and candelabra.
- If you can, get hold of some real or imitation snow - and a dragon ice sculpture would make an amazing addition!
- Add some long wooden tables and benches for the wedding breakfast and full size trees or twigs either natural or sprayed white or silver/ pewter. These should form an aisle with lanterns on the floor either side at the end of your benches/ rows of chairs.
- For your altar or backdrop a big stone table carved with gargoyles/ dragons would be perfect.
- Ask your guests to dress up accordingly - perhaps create a Pinterest board of ideas so they can get inspired.
- Clothing should be free flowing robes/leggings in dark and royal colours.
- In terms of accessories, opt for crowns or head dresses, along with statement jewellery.
- Hairstyles are usually long, wavy and natural looking. Velvet and metallic braid embellishments can also be used for an extra flourish of pretty in the bride and bridesmaids' hair.
- For the wedding bouquet: opt for twigs, small branches and simple meadow-style flowers.
- Table settings should be rustic using good quality items without clutter - a brocade table runner or leave tables natural wood with plenty of candles, large fruit bowls, bunches of grapes and platters/ food boards for sharing.
- Pewter tableware is perfect: we're talking mugs and plates, table candelabra and lanterns.
- Create your own coat of arms or monogram and print this on banners and flags to display around your reception.
- Use your coat of arms on your wedding cake - pick a spectacular cake in a bold shade of red or purple, or opt for metallic icing. For ultimate impact, ask your ushers to carry it in at shoulder-height so as to give the impression of it being a lot heavier (and more impressive) than it actually is.
- Have a myriad of entertainers performing in short bursts - think fire-eaters, snake-charmers, stilt-walkers... Although don't forget to check with your venue before booking!
Game Of Thrones: The Complete Third Season will be released on Blu-Ray and DVD on 17 February 2014, courtesy of HBO Home Entertainment,